The aims of the PE National Curriculum are as follows:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- Be physically active for sustained periods of time
- Engage in competitive sports and activities
- Lead healthy and active lives
The new four Key Stages have been summarised by afPE as follows:
Key Stage One
- Pupils should develop core movement, become increasingly competent and confident and access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance and co-ordination, individually and with others
- They should be able to engage in competitive (both against self and others) and co-operative physical activities, in a range of increasingly challenging situations
Key Stage Two
- Pupils should continue to implement and develop a broader range of skills, learning how to use them in different ways and to link them to make actions and sequences of movement
- They should enjoy communicating, collaborating and competing with each other
- They should develop an understanding of how to succeed in different activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success
At St Mary Magdalen’s we will achieve these aims through various sports including Netball, Football, Golf, Handball, Swimming, Orienteering, Gymnastics, Badminton, Tennis, Rugby, Dance and Hockey. These sports will be available through PE Sessions, after school clubs and dinner time sessions.
We also place particular emphasis on all our children’s physical fitness, as well as their core strength development.We encourage competition within school through regular house competitions and out of school through competitive matches against other schools.